COVID 19 Update: It is business as usual. We are available to assist you via phone, email or video calls.

The CRA Snitch Line: An Overview of the CRA Informant Leads Program

The Canada Revenue Agency allows people to report tax fraud through its informant leads program. Some call this the CRA Snitch Line.

Fill out the web form or call us to get started.


Solve Your Tax Problem

Book A Free Confidential Consultation


The CRA Snitch Line: An Overview of the CRA Informant Leads Program

Looking To Report Suspected Tax Cheating To CRA Snitchline? 

Learn More About The CRA Snitchline


The CRA Informant Leads Program (aka “The CRA Snitch Line”) allows people to report tax fraud in Canada. Using the CRA snitch line, you ca

n report deliberate misrepresentations of income and deductions to the Canada Revenue Agency. In most cases, the Informant Leads Program handles tax cases involving individuals.

For example, you can contact the program to provide information on the “underground economy,” meaning individuals who are earning unreported (and therefore untaxed) income.


How does the Line Work?


Anyone can report suspected tax evasion by phone, online or through the mail. The information will be reviewed and assessed by the CRA and the Agency will respond as it deems necessary. Those who report to the Informant Leads Program will not be provided with feedback on the tips that are provided as it is prohibited by law for the CRA to do so.

The CRA will protect the identity of anyone who provides information to the leads program. By legal obligation, the CRA cannot even provide any information that may disclose that there is an informant at all.

Once information has been provided to the so-called “CRA Snitch Line,” this information cannot be recalled or cancelled. All information is reviewed and valid allegations may be investigated.

There is no monetary reward or compensation for reporting information to the CRA Informant Leads Program. However, a separate program, the Offshore Tax Informant Program, may provide monetary awards to those who report on major international tax non-compliance cases that lead to taxes being assessed and collected if the potential assessment is greater than $100,000.


When Reporting


If you wish to report information to the Informant Lead Program, the CRA requests that you provide as many details about the individual and the situation as you can. The agency recognizes that not all information will be available.

In addition to information regarding the identity of the taxpayer being reported on, the CRA will want to know the type of fraud that is suspected, details of any observations you have made, any documents that may be available, as well as information regarding cash and other assets.


If Someone Reports on You


While you will not know that the tax information that the CRA has was provided to the agency by an informant, the CRA will investigate all valid allegations and take action as necessary. If the CRA believes that you have committed tax evasion, it will utilize its very broad powers to investigate and punish you.

Among other powers, the CRA can:

  • Issue fines and penalties
  • Garnish wages or take other action to collect tax debt owed
  • Refer cases to the courts for criminal prosecution

The severity of the consequences will depend on the nature of the specific situation. If you worry that you may be prosecuted by the CRA for tax fraud, or if the CRA has already contacted you regarding tax fraud, tax evasion, or misrepresentation, please contact us today at 1-888-868-1400 to speak with a qualified professional at Tax Solutions Canada.

Farber Tax Solutions can help you successfully deal with CRA problems. We utilize the experience of our tax experts to:

  • 1| Offer a comprehensive solution that is focused on achieving the most favourable possible outcome for your tax issue;
  • 2| Communicate with the CRA on your behalf and navigate the entire CRA dispute process; and
  • 3| Offer a complete solution to your tax problems, including ex-CRA professionals and tax lawyers from Farber Tax Law.