CRA Penalties and Interest Questions
Facing penalties and interest on a CRA tax debt? Farber Tax Solutions have the answers to your questions. With ex-CRAs, tax lawyers and tax accountants on staff, we can help you handle the CRA.
Fill out the form to get started or give us call
Solve Your Tax Problem
Book A Free Confidential Consultation
What are CRA’s penalties?
There are a variety of penalties the CRA can impose on a taxpayer’s account. Some of the more common ones include:
- Late filing penalty – this is a penalty for filing late tax returns. The penalty is 5% of your balance owing, plus 1% of your balance owing for each full month your return is late, to a maximum of 12 months.
- Repeated failure to report income penalty – this is a penalty for repeatedly failing to report income in the past four years. The federal and provincial/territorial penalties are each 10% of the amount that you failed to report on your return.
- False statements or omissions penalty – this is a discretionary penalty that may be levied against you if you, knowingly or under circumstances amounting to gross negligence, have made a false statement or omission on your tax return. The penalty is the greater of $100 or 50% of the understated tax and/or the overstated credits related to the false statement or omission.
What are gross negligence penalties?
Also known as the “false statements or omissions penalty”, this is a discretionary penalty that may be levied against you if you, knowingly or under circumstances amounting to gross negligence, have made a false statement or omission on your tax return. The penalty is the greater of $100 or 50% of the understated tax and/or the overstated credits related to the false statement or omission.
What is CRA’s interest rate?
- The interest rate charged on overdue taxes, Canada Pension Plan contributions, and employment insurance premiums will be 5%.
- The interest rate to be paid on corporate taxpayer overpayments will be 1%.
- The interest rate to be paid on non-corporate taxpayer overpayments will be 3%.
- The interest rate used to calculate taxable benefits for employees and shareholders from interest free and low-interest loans will be 1%.
- The interest rate for corporate taxpayers’ pertinent loans or indebtedness will be 4.52%.
Farber Tax Solutions can help you successfully deal with CRA problems. We utilize the experience of our tax experts to:
- 1| Offer a comprehensive solution that is focused on achieving the most favourable possible outcome for your tax issue;
- 2| Communicate with the CRA on your behalf and navigate the entire CRA dispute process; and
- 3| Offer a complete solution to your tax problems, including ex-CRA professionals and tax lawyers from Farber Tax Law.
"The power the CRA holds over individuals is unbelievable. I could not believe we had to experience this treatment and I firmly believe Scott saved the day, our sanity and our financial future. Farber Tax knows their stuff, and I highly recommend them to be in your corner."
"Again I can’t thank you enough! My life has been far more calm in so many ways after meeting with you. I have had many family members and friends mention how happy I seem lately. It’s truly a reflection of your hard work and ability to do your profession so great!”
"I don’t even know where to.begin or how to even thank you for lending an ear this morning. Without even seeing any type of documentation to support my situation .. you offered support, guidance and most of all kindness. THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!!"