How To Get A Notice Of Assessment
Find out how to get a copy of Notice of Assessment from the CRA, and what you can do if you misplaced your Notice of Assessment.
Fill out the form to get started or give us call
Solve Your Tax Problem
Book A Free Confidential Consultation
How to Get a Notice of Assessment from the CRA
Once you file your taxes, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will send you a Notice of Assessment (NOA). The NOA is sent out automatically once the CRA has processed your income tax return.
The Notice of Assessment is sent in one of two ways:
- A paper copy may be sent by mail to the mailing address on your tax return
- A digital copy may be available via CRA Online Mail
You can register for CRA Online Mail if you choose to file your tax return online. You can also register to receive your Notice of Assessment in this manner by signing into your profile on the CRA My Account page.
If you are registered for CRA My Account and CRA Online Mail, and you use a NETFILE-certified software to file your income tax return online, you can get notice of assessment right after you file your tax return. This is called an Express NOA. The Express NOA will be delivered into tax filing your software after you file your return. You are then able to save or print your Notice of Assessment.
What is a Notice of Assessment?
A Notice of Assessment shows the result of the CRA’s assessment of your tax return. It includes information such as your contact information, the statement date, any actions that you need to take, and your current year-end balance.
A CRA Notice of Assessment will show whether you have a refund, an amount owing, or a zero balance.
It can take time for you to get Notice of Assessment after you file your income taxes. If you filed your taxes to the CRA’s NETFILE service and did not choose to receive an Express NOA, it typically takes 1-2 weeks to get. If you printed and mailed your return, it will take longer, likely between 4-6 weeks. However, if you filed your taxes near or after the tax filing deadline, it will take the CRA even longer to assess your return. It may take as long as 8-10 weeks or longer to receive your NOA in this case.
How to get a Copy of Notice of Assessment
If you can’t find your Notice of Assessment, if you have misplaced it, or if you are just looking to get a copy of Notice of Assessment, there are several ways to get another one.
- You can log in to the CRA My Account page to download the NOA.
- If you do not have an account set up, you can log in with your online banking account and use the sign-in partner login method to gain limited access to your account. You will then need to contact the CRA through the site to get an access code for your account. You will be required to have certain information from a previous tax return to apply for an access code.
- Contact the CRA by phone to request a copy of your NOA mailed to you
How to get Notice of Assessment is a common question that many people have, but the CRA tries to make it easy to get this important document. If you have any questions, or if you are having difficulty, you should contact the CRA directly.
Farber Tax Solutions can help you successfully deal with CRA problems. We utilize the experience of our tax experts to:
- 1| Offer a comprehensive solution that is focused on achieving the most favourable possible outcome for your tax issue;
- 2| Communicate with the CRA on your behalf and navigate the entire CRA dispute process; and
- 3| Offer a complete solution to your tax problems, including ex-CRA professionals, lawyers, and experienced accountants.
"The power the CRA holds over individuals is unbelievable. I could not believe we had to experience this treatment and I firmly believe Scott saved the day, our sanity and our financial future. Farber Tax knows their stuff, and I highly recommend them to be in your corner."
"Again I can’t thank you enough! My life has been far more calm in so many ways after meeting with you. I have had many family members and friends mention how happy I seem lately. It’s truly a reflection of your hard work and ability to do your profession so great!”
"I don’t even know where to.begin or how to even thank you for lending an ear this morning. Without even seeing any type of documentation to support my situation .. you offered support, guidance and most of all kindness. THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!!"